Hidekazu Maiyama Photo Exhibition BOTANIZATION
- Friday, July 16 - Thursday, July 29, 2021
- 11:00 - 18:00
Sony Imaging Gallery will close at 18:00 until further notice.
There is a river bank I often go to.
Whenever it pours down rain, everything gets swept away and the river turns into a giant holding pond until the stormwater can be digested downstream.
It’s unmanaged, so the parts where people don’t go are covered in reeds and grasses. The inundation that comes with every heavy rain decimates the vegetation and deposits debris and mud, a process that inversely makes the soil fertile.
The hassocks and wild flowers then sprout again and eventually restore the community. It’s a good example of how repeated destruction has honed a renewable energy.
As natural as it is, this riverside landscape has a surreal aura to it that, interestingly, lets you forget the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
Hidekazu Maiyama Profile
Hidekazu Maiyama became a freelance photographer in 1986. He is active in a wide range of visual media with a special focus on portraits, including advertisements, CD jackets, magazines, and photo books.
He periodically holds solo exhibitions and has published several collections of his works.
Encouragement Award at the 22nd APA Exhibition
Regular Member of the Japan Advertising Photographers’ Association since 2004
Guest Professor at the Faculty of Art and Design, Kyushu Sangyo University since 2014
- “Sway” Tokyo Designer Space
- “Force” Studio Ebis Photo Gallery
- “Force” Nishitetsu Solaria Plaza Zefa
- “Alive” + “Sophia” Tower Records Shibuya
- “People” Le Deco
- “Garden” Kodak Photo Salon Sapporo
- “We Love Pandas” Contact Gallery
- “Dummy” Contact Gallery
- “Shamrock Dream” Gallery E&M Nishiazabu
- “Photographs 1986-2012” Museum of Kyushu Sango University
“Die Stadt von Engels” Gallery E&M Nishiazabu
- “Infinity vs Nine Photo Stories of MONA” Group Exhibition, Shibuya Parco Museum
- “Noir et Blanc” Jimbocho Gallery
- “Zoo” Tokyo Arts Gallery
“Progress” Gallery E&M Nishiazabu
- “The PAST and FUTURE Gallery Enzo Kanazawa
“Zoo - House of Giraffe” Tokyo Arts Gallery
- “I'm Here 1986-2018” epSITE
“A Moment” Sison Gallery
- “Force 1994” Gallery E&M Nishiazabu
- “Sign” Jimbocho Gallery
- Garden 1
- Die Stadt von Engels