The sense of smell is said to be the least researched of the five senses.
"Smell" has been difficult to handle until now.
The Call for a future where anyone can freely handle smells, we have now developed just the device to do so, the Next-gen Olfactometry System.
Sony has raised the bar, embarking on this new challenge which no one has yet conquered.
Please feel free to contact us regarding Sony's Next-gen Olfactometry System
The Next-gen Olfactometry System
Sony's proprietary Odorant Control Technology has made it possible to suppress odor contamination indoors and easily display odorant.
Since this product does not require dedicated facilities or rooms,
it can be easily used in a variety of locations.
Simple operation is realized with a dedicated application, and measurement results can be checked and compared smoothly.
Assumed use of the Next-Gen Olfactometry System
The Next-Gen Olfactometry System uses a cartridge pre-filled with an olfactory substance to present an odorant.
For example, it is intended to be used for the following purposes:
To present odorants necessary for Researchers who conduct Olfactory Research.
To help monitor and check the olfactory ability of those who work in the Fragrance Industry.
To present odorants for training those who want to learn specific scents in advance.
If you have any questions about any other uses, please contact us.
Tensor Valve™ Technology
Sony's unique wire-type linear actuator array technology achieving high output force and high stroke,
along with our Tensor Valve Technology designed highly hermetically sealed cartridges suppress odor leakage,
enable odorant display with a high dynamic range, and allows easy control of a large number of odorants.
- Supresses odorant contamination
- Sony's proprietary cartridge structure and effusion technology has achieved a cartridge with high hermeticity, even when using strong odorant cartridges. The deodorizing mechanism built into the main unit prevents odor contamination in the room. Therefore, there is no requirements, such as a need, for dedicated facilities or rooms.
- Can easily and quickly present odorants.
- Just by selecting the odorant you want to present on the tablet, you can immediately present it. Hand contamination with odorants and mixing of different odorants elements during manipulation is also avoided with our technology. There is no need for messy preparation and cleanup every time an odorant is presented.
- Odorants can be presented regardless of the Tester, preventing variations in test conditions.
- With this product, by setting the distance from the nose and the length of time that the Odorant is presented, it is possible to present the Odorant more accurately and consistently than when presented manually. This makes it easy to compare and review test results, even when the test facility or the Tester is different.
- A dedicated App enables easy recording/
viewing of results and data transfer.
- Measurement results can be easily recorded using a dedicated application. Measurement results can be compared, displayed, and analyzed on the app, and can be transferred via Wi-Fi®(※1), USB connection, or 2D code reader. The results can be outputted to thermal paper using a specified Bluetooth® printer.
- Sony's environmentally friendly design uses
unique sustainable materials.
- The nose guide, which is replaced for each subject, is made of Triporous™, a porous carbon material made from surplus biomass rice husks, and an original blend of eco-friendly paper materials made from bamboo, sugarcane, and recycled paper recovered from the market. We use this new material which is odorless and environmentally friendly. In addition, a flame-retardant recycled plastic, SORPLAS™, which uses up to 99% of recycled materials, is also used for some parts of the dedicated cartridge, which is a consumable item.
|Maximum external dimensions (W x H x D)
|Approx. 37.4 x 37.8 x 25.3 (cm)
|Power source (main body)
|DC 12V (using supplied AC adapter)
|Max. approx. 6 W
Ambient humidity: 40%～70%
|Cartridge system (one cartridge can be filled with up to 40 different olfactors).
*Please visit a sales company's website for more information on dedicated olfactometer cartridges.
|Olfactory switchover time
|Approx. 3 sec.
|Olfactory presentation time
|1 to 10 seconds
|Smell presentation method (olfactometer discharge method)
|Gas diffusion method (non-heated, dry air method)
|How to use
|Operated from a dedicated app on an attached tablet
|Data transfer method (dedicated tablet)
|Data transfer via Wi-Fi® /Bluetooth/USB connection (txt, csv, jpeg) ※1
*Requires Android™ OS File Manager for operation
Data transfer via barcode reader (txt, csv) (*Note)
Data output via designated thermal paper printer (*Note)
*Requires a dedicated app.
|Operation manual, quick reference, warranty card, AC adapter, dedicated operation tablet
※This product is not a medical device.
The following barcode readers have been tested for proper compatibility operation.
Manufacturer: Tera Manufacturer's Reference: Tera-D5100-JP
The specified thermal paper printer is as follows
Manufacturer: Seiko Instruments Inc. Model number: MP-B30-B02JK1-E9
*1 This product is not a medical device.
*2 Dedicated cartridges and nose guides are sold separately.
*3 We plan to use 100% recycled plastic for the base of the cartridge.
The information on this page is as of October 5, 2022. Please note that the exact specifications of the products that are actually released may differ from the contents indicated on this page.