Explore the latest R&D projects applying Sony's cutting-edge technology and newest prototypes.
- CAVE without a LIGHT
- It is an experiential exhibition of inclusive design* that can be enjoyed without vision developed by Quality & Environmental Dept., Creative Center, and R&D Center at Sony. You can experience playing music together with other attendees using Sony's sound and haptic technology in a dark cave like setting. This program demonstrates the possibility of technology that diverse people can enjoy themselves regardless of the presence of disability.
* Inclusive design: A method of designing together, acquiring new awareness by understanding diversity.
- Flow Machines
- A display showcasing the AI-assisted music composition technology Flow Machines, jointly presented by Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc. and Sony CSL.
*Flow Machines is a research and deployment project aimed at achieving augmented creativity of artists in music. We create new music together with artists by developing new technology based on leading-edge machine learning and signal processing technology.
Sample of a Flow Machines composition: Imaginary Line
* "Flow Machines" is a technology developed by Sony CSL.
- A research framework led by Sony CSL that uses computer technologies for expanding and transforming human perception. This is the third year Superception will be featured at SXSW. This year Sony will showcase "Fragment Shadow", one of the latest outcomes of the research, a system that enables you to experience changes in bodily sensations through visual changes in your own shadow.
About Superception (Super + perception)
- Das Fremde
- An installation based on the research of Sony CSL using robots and an autonomous agent program to show how language emerged, and how it has evolved and changed. Multiple robots, each possessing different traits and knowledge, create new words and communicate in new ways as they interact and are influenced by their surroundings and the people watching. This installation will get visitors thinking about how people interrelate with artificial intelligence and machines.
About Das Fremde
Sony's technology will also be presented at 8K theater within NHK (Nippon Hoso Kyokai- Japan Broadcasting Corporation) booth. Crystal LED Display System (approx. 440 inches size) adopting Sony's uniquely developed high picture quality display technology is installed as the core system of the theater. Various 8K contents including gameplay footage specially edited for this occasion, and video from Carnival in Rio de Janeiro will be played, offering extraordinary lively and immersive viewing experience to the audience. (Open between Mar. 11 (Mon) to Mar.13 (Wed), 10:00 - 18:00 at Grimes Studio, 500 E 5th St, Austin, TX)
This is a place where people visiting SXSW and Sony engineers and product planning staff can communicate directly. The below projects can also be seen.
- Flash Darts
- Joint exhibition from Sony PCL Inc and Akatsuki Entertainment Technology Fund. It is a darts game interactive content. We propose a new play method that is different from the conventional dart software by making the material adaptable and movable by combining projection mapping and the latest infrared sensor device. The "Haptic Floor", equipped with Sony's haptics technology (tactile presentation technology), is installed to make it easier for you to enjoy darts with a sense of realism and immersiveness.
- Sony's exclusively developed Triporus is a unique finely structured porous carbonous material made primarily of surplus biomass (organic resources derived from renewable organisms) such as rice husks, including silica. Due to this, it can easily absorb large substances at large molecular weights that have been difficult to absorb with conventional technologies. This includes organic molecules such as humin and poisonous algae blooms that cause water pollutions as well as allergens, viruses, and small proteins such as enzymes. Through these unique characteristics, Triporous provides new value for various products including environmental filters that remove pollutants from the air and water.