CSR Reporting

Content Menu
Updated on August 23, 2017

Employee Data

The total number of employees in the Sony Group as of March 31, 2017 was approximately 128,400, an increase of approximately 3,100 from March 31, 2016, as the result of increased employment primarily in the Electronics segment. This increase was due to the increase of employees at manufacturing facilities in Asia Pacific, and by Sony's acquisition of some of Toshiba's semiconductor fabrication facilities. As a result of the splitting out of business units in recent years, the number of employees at Sony Corporation was approximately 6,200 as of March 31, 2017,.

Breaking down employee numbers by business segment, the numbers as of March 31, 2017 stood at roughly 91,100 in the Electronics segment (about 70% of all Group employees), 10,100 in the Financial Services segment, 9,000 in the Pictures segment, and 8,200 in the Music segment.
Breaking down employee numbers by geographical area, Japan accounted for roughly 40% of all Group employees as of March 31, 2017, while locations outside Japan accounted for the other 60%. The Asia-Pacific region accounted for 20%, followed by mainland China and Hong Kong (17%), the US (11%), Europe (9%), and other areas (3%).
Composition of Sony Corporation's Directors, Corporate Executive Officers and Business/Corporate Executives (As of June 15, 2017)
Total Female Non-Japanese Nationals
Directors 12 1 (8.3%) 2 (16.7%)
Corporate Executive Officers 10 *1 0 1 (10%)
Business Executives 21 0 4 (19%)
Corporate Executives 12 2 (16.7%) 0

*1
Of the ten Corporate Executive Officers, two serve concurrently as Directors.
*
For further information on the Board of Directors, see the Board of Directors page.

Page Top