Sony Corporation and its employees worldwide share the deepest sympathy for those affected by the Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami disaster that occurred on December 26, 2004.
To assist relief efforts, Sony Corporation and its group companies around the world have committed approximately 70 million yen(*) to disaster relief organizations.
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications have also donated 1,300 mobile phones to the disaster stricken areas.
* Details of the contribution
- Sony Corporation made donation to Japan Red Cross.
- Sony Thailand (Sothai), Sony Device Technology (Thailand), Sony Technology (Thailand), Sony Supply Chain Solutions (Thailand) made donation to the Thai Government.
- Sony EMCS (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd., Sony Supply Chain Solutions (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd., Sony (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd. made donation to the Federal Government Disaster Fund.
- Sony Electronics (Singapore) Pte. Ltd., Sony Electronics Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd., Sony Global Treasury Services Plc., Singapore Branch, Sony Chemical Singapore Pte. Ltd., SET Satellite Pte. Ltd. raised funds from the employees and matched the same amount to donate to the Singapore Red Cross.
- Sony Corporation of America made donation to the American Red Cross.
Sony (China) Ltd. made donation to the China Red Cross.
To further support relief efforts, Sony group companies in Japan, USA, Europe, Hong Kong and Taiwan are raising funds from their employees. The funds raised will be matched by the company through the Sony Matching Gift Program and will be donated to disaster relief organizations.