The press releases on this website are provided for historical reference purposes only. Please note that certain information may have changed since the date of release.
February 13, 2003
The Nine Blu-ray Disc Founder Companies
Begin Licensing of the Rewritable Format of the Large Capacity
LG Electronics Inc.
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Tokyo, Japan, February
13, 2003: Hitachi, Ltd., LG Electronics Inc., Matsushita
Electric Industrial Co., Ltd., Pioneer Corporation, Royal
Philips Electronics, Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., Sharp
Corporation, Sony Corporation, and Thomson today announced
the start of licensing of the rewritable format of "Blu-ray
Disc", the large capacity optical disc utilizing blue-violet
laser. Licensing will commence as of February 17, 2003.
The introduction of products based on "Blu-ray Disc",
the first optical disc format capable of recording High
Definition broadcasts, will enable the enjoyment of even
greater picture quality within the home.
Overview of license for the rewritable format of "Blu-ray
1. License Agreement
In applicable cases, the following licenses must be obtained
for the development, manufacture, and sale of products
based on the rewritable format of "Blu-ray Disc":
(1) "Blu-ray Disc Rewritable Format and Logo License Agreement
(FLLA)" for licensing of format specifications (excluding
patents) and the logo developed and owned by the 9 companies
(2)" Content Protection System Adopters Agreement for
Blu-ray Disc Rewritable (CPSA) " for licensing of copyright
protection system specifications and keys with Matsushita,
Philips and Sony.
Both of the above agreements will take the form of 10-year
2. License Conditions
(1) "Blu-ray Disc Rewritable Format and Logo License Agreement"
- Product categories: (a)Player/Recorder (b)Media (c)Components(d)Manufacturing
Equipment and Testers.
- License fee: 1st Category US$30,000, 2nd Category US$20,000,
Maximum fee US$60,000 for 3 or more categories.
(2) "Content Protection System Adopters Agreement for
Blu-ray Disc Rewritable" (CPSA)
- Product categories: (a)Player/Recorder (b)Media (c)Components.
- Annual administration fee: 1st Category US$12,000, 2nd
Category US$8,000, 3rd Category US$4,000
- Copyright Protection Key fee: (a) US$0.10/set (b) US$0.02/media
(Fulfillment fee US$500/order)
License Agent / Contact:
Fax +81 3 5769 5727