The press releases on this website are provided for historical reference purposes only. Please note that certain information may have changed since the date of release.|
October 6, 2000
Setting the Objective : Double Eco-Efficiency
Sony Announces its "Environmental Vision Towards Sustainability"
Sony today announced its "Environmental Vision Towards Sustainability" which outlines the Sony Group's fundamental environmental policy. This document expresses a higher-level statement of Sony's objectives than that contained in "Green Management 2002". It states both the basic philosophy and specific numerical targets and announces the target of "double eco- efficiency."
The growth of stakeholders concerned with environmental issues is clear: consumers are expressing increasing concern, companies are being rated according to environmental measures and SRIs (Socially Responsible Investments) have appeared. In addition, many nations are introducing environmental taxes and schemes for CO2 emission rights. From now, environmental policy will become increasingly important in economic terms.
To realize the development of a sustainable economy, Sony thinks it is necessary to combine ecology and economy together in management policy. The degree to which such a concept is reflected in company policy will have an effect on mid/long-term corporate value.
The "Environmental Vision Towards Sustainability" works from the highest concept to the most specific targets to realize a sustainable society.
- Sony recognizes that global environmental improvement is the most important issue for humanity in the 21st century.
- Sony aims, through continuous technological innovation and new business initiatives, to contribute positively to the natural environment and the dreams of future generations.
- Recognizing the utmost importance of our natural life-support systems, sustainable economic development is the top business priority for the Sony Group. Sustainable economic development means utilizing our environmental resources in a manner that will also allow future generations to achieve their potential for health, wealth and happiness.
- Sony aims to show that it is possible to achieve a new balance between humankind and nature by doing more with less, reducing the environmental impact arising from our use of energy and resources while providing high quality, high performing products and services to our customers.
- All Sony staff will continuously learn about a broad variety of environmental issues. We will cooperate closely and continuously with stakeholders in a joint quest to improve the world in which we live.
2. COMMITMENTS TO SUSTAINABILITY
Sony is committed to sustainability at all levels of our business operations, from the conception and development, the sales, use and disposal of our products. Sustainable economic development is an integral part of overall business strategy and Sony takes the following life-cycle approach to its business and manufacturing process.
- (1) Corporate Citizenship
- Sony has a broad and lasting responsibility towards both the natural environment and society. Sony will treat each employee with respect and help increase her or his knowledge about the environment. Sony will show a high level of integrity in our relations with our stakeholders and society. We recognize the importance of local environments as well as the global environment. We will participate actively in community activities in different regions of the world aiming always to be a good corporate citizen.
- (2) Business Planning
- From the conception and planning of new products and services, sustainability and environmental performance will be taken into consideration. Innovative new business models to reduce our environmental impact and drive forward the move toward sustainable growth will be explored and developed.
- (3) Research & Development
- Sony aims to develop new and original technologies that may contribute to the improvement of our environment. We will aim to increase the resource productivity and environmental performance of all products and services and to make sustainability and the environment integral parts of our quality concept.
- (4) Product Design
- Sony will use its creative technological capacity to apply a "Cradle-to-Cradle" design principle to all products and services. We aim to design products and services with potential environmental benefit. All products and services will be designed to minimize environmental impact throughout the life-cycle, from the procurement of raw materials to the manufacturing, distribution, use, disposal and recycling of products. We will focus on design that helps expand the life of products while reducing potential waste.
- (5) Manufacturing Process and Site Management
- Sony will continuously improve site environmental management performance, both at manufacturing and non-manufacturing sites. We will aim to move toward closed-loop/zero emissions production. Through the implementation and continuous improvement of proactive environmental management systems and technological innovation, Sony aims to reduce the environmental impact arising in the manufacturing process and in our offices and other sites and facilities.
- (6) Distribution, Sales, Marketing, and After-sales Service
- Sony aims to minimize environmental impact arising from packaging, distribution, sales and after-sales service of our products and services. We will work to increase resource productivity in logistics and transportation.
Environmental information for our customers will be included in product information whenever possible and Sony will aim to develop new forms of environmental marketing.
- (7) Post-use Resource Management
- Recognizing our responsibility for post-use products, Sony will vigorously promote the take-back, reuse and recycling of products. Sony will actively work to convert waste into resources and to utilize such resources within the Sony group and in cooperation with contractors and the community.
- (8) Information Disclosure and Stakeholder Communication
- Sony will encourage and stimulate an open and fair dialogue with stakeholders and disclose environmental information in a form accessible to the public. We welcome opinions and suggestions both from staff and from other stakeholders and will use such dialogues in our efforts to improve our environmental performance.
- (9) Risk, Health and Safety Management
- Not only the reduction of environmental impact arising from our business process, but also stringent risk management is part of the Sony commitment to sustainability. Sony will apply rigorous risk management systems worldwide and aim for zero incidents and accidents, both toward the natural and social environment. We will maintain continuous communication with our stakeholders on risk management issues. Sony recognizes that occupational health and safety is an integral part of all business operations. Sony therefore secures a safe and healthy working environment for its employees in accordance with our Global Policy on Occupational Health & Safety.
3. The Three Driving Forces Towards Sustainability
- Business Models/Systems
- We aim to create a business system which stabilizes and heals the environment upon which our economic activity depends. Sony's business initiatives, our standards and criteria, and our business models will help set the agenda for sustainable business conduct worldwide.
- We aim to help create a world in which Sony technology and Sony products contribute positively to the restoration of the global environment. A world in which our high tech products help people everywhere on Earth enjoy a better life while doing more with less, easing the burden we have been putting on our natural life support systems.
- We are committed, through continuous educational efforts, to creating an organization in which employees are highly eco-literate - keenly aware of the link between Sony's sustainability as a business and issues relating to sustainable economic development on a global scale. We will help forge a world in which all employees are willing to take his or her own initiative translating awareness into action. A world in which our customers and other stakeholders see Sony as a leader in environmental education and behavior that actively cooperates with stakeholders to create new and more sustainable lifestyles.
4. Objectives and Directions for Realizing a Sustainable Society
Sony will monitor and aim to increase the eco-efficiency of our operations based on the following formula:
Eco-Efficiency = Sales / Environmental Impact
Of particular importance are CO2 reductions and reductions in material use, and in these areas Sony aims to achieve an improvement in eco-efficiency at a factor of 1.5 by 2005 and a factor of 2 by 2010 (against figures for 2000). These targets will include a particular focus on CO2 emissions and energy consumption. The document "Green Management 2005" will contain the specific numerical targets for FY 2005:
* To achieve a carbon offset contribution of at least 5% by 2005 (by introducing renewable energy sources and other initiatives).
- To reduce power use of products by an average of 30% by 2005 (against figures for 2000).
- To achieve a stand by power consumption of 0.1 W or less for all products by 2005.
- To achieve a 15% reduction in energy use (relative to sales) at our manufacturing and non-manufacturing sites (against figures for 2000).