The press releases on this website are provided for historical reference purposes only. Please note that certain information may have changed since the date of release.|
January 25, 2000
Sony Announces Availability of
"AIBO" Entertainment Robot, model [ERS-111]
"AIBO" Entertainment Robot, model [ERS-111]
(Tokyo, Japan) - Sony Corporation*1 today announced plans to accept orders again for the sale of "AIBO" entertainment robot, model [ERS-111] to customers in Japan, the United States and Europe*2.
This time however there will be no limit on the number of AIBO units available. Sony plans to manufacture all the "AIBO" [ERS-111] entertainment robots for which orders are received during the official order period. For the Japanese market orders will be taken by the Internet, telephone and post card from Tuesday, February 15 until Friday, February 25. Sony plans to start shipping the product from the beginning of April.
In June 1999 Sony sold a total of 5,000 units of a limited edition "AIBO" entertainment robot, model [ERS-110], in Japan (3,000 units) and the US (2,000 units). This was met with an over-whelming response and all available [ERS-110] were sold within 20 minutes in Japan and within 4 days in the US. In order to respond to consumer demand, Sony decided to launch a special edition "AIBO" entertainment robot, model [ERS-111], and offered 10,000 units for sale in Japan, the US and Europe in November 1999. The 135,000 orders Sony received within the official order period far exceeded the number of units available to customers. When the final 10,000 customers were selected at random many people were unable to purchase products and Sony promised to look into the possibility of making more units available in the future. As a result of studying product manufacture, marketing and customer support further, Sony has decided to accept orders again.
In addition, Sony will also be accepting orders for the "AIBO Performer Kit" motion editor [ERF-511] that makes it possible for users to edit and create original movements on their home PC for the [ERS-111] "AIBO" entertainment robot.
"AIBO" is an autonomous robot that acts in response to external stimulation and its own judgement. It displays various emotional expressions and learns by communicating and interacting with human beings.
Sony, while obviously interested in continuing market research and the development of robotic technology, is also working to establish and grow a viable consumer market for entertainment robots.
*1 In Japan the sale of products will be conducted by Sony Communication Network, Ltd.
*2 Order acceptance area in Europe is; Austria, Greece, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, U.K., Belgium, the Netherlands, Sweden and Norway
Includes: Station, AC Adapter, Li-Ion Battery (set of 2),Sound Commander remote control unit, 8MB pre-recorded Memory Stick, colored ball
in the USA
No limit -
the period will
-No limit per region.
- There is a limit of 3 units per order.
-No limit to the number of applications one person can make
"AIBO Performer Kit"
Motion Editor [ERF-511]
Includes: Motion Editor Software (AIBO Performer), 8MB Memory Stick, Memory Stick PC Adapter Card
- ERF-511 will be available by the Internet after Feb. 26
In the USA
|"AIBO" Homepage||http://www.aibo.com/ *this link is no longer active and a revised page does not exist. |
Outline of application process for submitting requests in Japan
- The order period is from 10:00 a.m. on (Tuesday) February 15, 2000 to 6:00 p.m. on (Friday) February 25, 2000.
(Postcards stamped with a February 25 postmark will be valid)
- No priority will be given based on the order in which requests are received.
- Only residents in Japan may submit requests in Japan.
- Individuals may request up to 3 units per order request. Individuals may submit as many order requests as they want.
- "AIBO" home page: http://www.aibo.com/
*this link is no longer active and a revised page does not exist.
- 24 hours per day from 10:00 a.m. on February 15, 2000 to 6:00 p.m. on February 25, 2000.
- From 10:00 a.m. on (Tuesday ) February 15, 2000 to 6:00 p.m. on (Friday) February 25, 2000.
- 7 days a week (incl. Saturday & Sunday) from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Excluding cellular and PHS phones.
- If the phone lines are busy and it is difficult to get through, please apply via the Internet or by postcard.
Customer Related Information and to Order the Product Catalogue:
- So-Net AIBO Information Desk (10:00 - 18:00 No Holiday)
- Tel: +81-0570-05-2000 (except cellular and PHS inquiries)
- *(Cellular and PHS inquiries: 03-3446-7531)