|The press releases on this website are provided for historical reference purposes only. Please note that certain information may have changed since the date of release.
September 29, 1998
Sony Announces New Personal LCD Monitor
Tokyo, Japan- Sony Corporation today announced plans to launch a new personal LCD Monitor, called the PC Glasstron [ PLM-S700 ]. Equipped with 1.5 million dots on each 0.7 inch liquid crystal display, the new PC Glasstron will be released on the Japanese market this November.
When connected to a personal computer, the PC Glasstron lets users see SVGA (800×600) quality display images from the PC in a personal environment. In addition, by connecting the PC Glasstron to a VTR or a DVD player, consumers will be able to enjoy the virtual experience of watching video images on a large screen display.
|Model Name||Introduction Date||MSRP||Initial Monthly Production|
|PC Glasstron, PLM-S700||Nov. 10, 1998|
|298,000 yen||500 units|
Main Features of PLM-S700
- 1) Dynamic images and sound
- The PLM-S700 offers a virtual experience of watching a 30 inch screen (SVGA) viewed from 1.2 meters away when connected to a personal computer. In addition, built-in stereo headphones provide quality sound.
- 2) Compact size for portability and comfort
- The display unit is compact in size and can be folded for portability. The main components of the unit are made of magnesium alloy for durability. In addition, the lightweight display unit provides an easy fit to the head and ensures comfort over extended hours of use, even for users who wear eye glasses.
- 3) See-through mode
- A see-through mode allows users to view the surrounding environment by adjusting the transparency of the entire screen.
- * This product should not be used by children aged 15 or younger.
- * Individuals diagnosed with eye or heart disease, injury or high blood pressure should consult
- * their doctor prior to use.
- * The product should not be used while subject to external motion.
- * Users should read the instruction manual and all of its safety instructions prior to use.
Sony Corporation is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, communications and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. Its music, pictures and computer entertainment operations make Sony one of the most comprehensive entertainment companies in the world. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of over $51 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 1998, and it employs 173,000 people worldwide.