Sony has adopted a "Road to Zero" long-term environmental plan that plots a course to a zero environmental footprint for the company's operations and across the lifecycle of its products, by 2050. Moving toward this vision for the future, Sony set about pursuing its new "Green Management 2020" environmental mid-term targets from fiscal 2016, which it aims to achieve by the end of fiscal 2020. Its results thus far are as follows:
- 37.6% reduction in annual energy consumption per product (target: average of 30% reduction (compared to FY13))
- Approx. 14% absolute reduction in greenhouse gas emissions across all sites (target: 5% reduction (compared to FY15))
- Use of renewable energy equivalent to approx. 79,000-ton in CO2 (target: 300,000-ton CO2)
- 6.9% reduction in water consumption in across all sites (target: 5% (compared to FY15))
- Raised awareness and inspired action by reaching an audience of over 8.23 billion through the entertainment business (target: 500 million people)
Through these and other measures, Sony will continue striving to bring forth environmentally conscious products and services, minimize its environmental footprint of its value chain, and work to create a better and more sustainable society, toward the achievement of its "Green Management 2020" targets and ultimately an environmental footprint of zero.