The press releases on this website are provided for historical reference purposes only.
Please note that certain information may have changed since the date of release.
April 28, 2017
Selection of Board Member Candidates
Tokyo, Japan - At the meeting of the Nominating Committee held on April 28, 2017, Sony Corporation named candidates for election to the position of Member of the Board. The selections are subject to the approval at the Ordinary General Meeting of Shareholders to be held on June 15, 2017.
Members of the Board
The candidates for election to the position of Member of the Board are as follows.
- Kazuo Hirai
- Representative Corporate Executive Officer, President and CEO
- Kenichiro Yoshida
- Representative Corporate Executive Officer, Executive Deputy President and CFO
- Osamu Nagayama(*)
- Representative Director, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer,
Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- Takaaki Nimura(*)
- Certified Public Accountant
- Eikoh Harada(*)
- Former Chairman, President and CEO, Representative Director,
McDonald's Holdings Company (Japan), Ltd.
- Tim Schaaff
- Chief Product Officer, Intertrust Technologies Corporation
Independent Startup Advisor
Former President, Sony Network Entertainment International LLC
- Kazuo Matsunaga(*)
- Chairman of the Board, Mitsubishi Fuso Truck & Bus Corporation
Former Vice-Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry
- Koichi Miyata(*)
- Chairman of the Board, Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group, Inc.
Chairman of the Board, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
- John V. Roos(*)
- Former United States Ambassador to Japan
Founding Partner, Geodesic Capital
- Eriko Sakurai(*)
- Chairman and CEO, Representative Director,
Dow Corning Toray Co., Ltd.
- Kunihito Minakawa(*)(**)
- Audit & Supervisory Board Member, Ricoh Company, Ltd.
(Scheduled to retire on June 16, 2017)
- Shuzo Sumi(*)(**)
- Chairman of the Board, Tokio Marine Holdings, Inc.
- (*)An Outside Director who satisfies the requirements under Item 15, Article 2 of the Companies Act of Japan
- (**)A new candidate for Member of the Board
Member of the Board scheduled to retire
- Joichi Ito
- Director, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Media Lab
- *After retiring from his role as Director at Sony Corporation on June 15, 2017, Joichi Ito is expected to assume the role of Strategic Advisor, in which capacity he continue to counsel and exchange ideas with Sony's management team pertaining to advanced technology fields such as IT and AI, new business creation.