The press releases on this website are provided for historical reference purposes only.
Please note that certain information may have changed since the date of release.
June 8, 2010
- Bringing together Sony's state-of-the-art 3D technologies -
Johannesburg, South Africa - Sony Corporation today unveiled "3D world Created by Sony" (hereafter "3D world"), a premium 3D experience pavilion featuring a 280 inch 3D LED screen and 240 seats, at Nelson Mandela Square (Sandton City) in celebration of the first ever FIFA World Cup™ to be produced in 3D.
Companies from across the Sony Group will be involved in bringing images to life at the Sony "3D world" pavilion, from music, movies to games. Through the marvels of Sony's cutting-edge 3D technology, visitors to the pavilion will be able to enjoy a glimpse into the rich world of 3D created by Sony.
Also, visitors will be able to watch - for the first time in 3D - highlights of the 25 matches filmed during the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ (promotional trailer of the official 2010 FIFA film in 3D on Blu-ray Disc to be produced and distributed by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment). Furthermore, the "3D world" pavilion will offer an array of additional live entertainment shown in 3D, including performances by musicians featured on the "Hello Afrika" album, a compilation showcasing top African musical talent (produced by Sony Music Entertainment "SME"). Entertainment attractions will also include the world premiere of the 3D music video of "Waka Waka", the official 2010 FIFA World Cup™ song performed by leading SME artist Shakira in collaboration with South African group Freshlyground.
The "3D world" pavilion will be open to all visitors from June 9 to July 12 (10am to 10pm daily, free of charge).
Also, there will be several other pavilions showcasing 3D contents and technologies in Sandton City and Soccer City in Johannesburg, and stadiums in Durban and Cape Town. Furthermore, within 3D pavilion at the Fountain Court in Sandton City shopping centre, there will be demonstrations showcasing Sony's prototype 3D compatible front home projector, which will be launched within this year starting in the U.S. and European markets.
- Exclusive promotional trailers of the Official 2010 FIFA World Cup™ film.
- 3D music videos will also be shown including "Waka Waka," performed by Shakira featuring Freshlyground (from June 9), and top selling Japanese music artist MISIA (from June 14), Claudia Leittie (Brazilian music artist) and Lira (South African music artist) (from July 10). These artists are featured in the Official 2010 FIFA World Cup™ Album.
- Live performances by artists featured on SME's "Hello Afrika" album will also take place between 19:00 and 20:00 daily, such as Vusi Mahlasela, Deep Level, Malaika, Louise Carver, Ternielle Nelson, UJU, AYA, GoldFish, Jason Hartman, and Tumi.
- A host of other African talent will also be performing, including "Diski" dancers, along with a variety of other African cultural acts.
- Beach football every Saturday between 15:00 - 16:00 including special guest appearances by football freestylers and beach footballers.
- Official mascot for the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ "Zakumi" will visit the Nelson Mandela Square and Sandton City shopping centre from 9:00 - 17:00 on June 30 and July 8.