The press releases on this website are provided for historical reference purposes only.
Please note that certain information may have changed since the date of release.
August 1, 2007
Sony to Showcase High-Speed "Cell Computing Board (prototype)" at "SIGGRAPH 2007"
Sony will be exhibiting its newly developed "Cell Computing Board (prototype)" at "SIGGRAPH 2007" ( August 7th∼9th at San Diego Convention Center, San Diego, California, USA).
The "Cell Computing Board" incorporates the high-performance Cell Broadband EngineTM (Cell/B.E.) microprocessor and RSX® graphics processor to deliver high computational performance capable of handling large amounts of data at high speed while also achieving reductions in size and energy consumption.
This technology represents a new solution for multimedia computing applications such as computer graphics and scientific computations that require massive data quantities to be processed.
About Cell Computing Board
The incorporation of RSX realizes arithmetic operation speeds beyond the 230 GFLOPS of the Cell/B.E. microprocessor alone.
"Cell Computing Board" can be embedded in a 1U (unit) sized server and mounted on a 19-inch rack.
·Lower Energy Consumption
"Cell Computing Board" delivers high computational performance while reducing power consumption to 400W or less.
At SIGGRAPH 2007, Sony will demonstrate the following sample applications using the "Cell Computing Board".
· Demonstration of 4K Applications
Real time image processing of 4K images taking advantage of the high performance of "Cell Computing Board"
· Demonstration of CG Rendering
· Demonstration of Physics Simulation
Physics simulation taking advantage of the multi-thread processing ability of "Cell Computing Board"
- *The Cell/B.E. is a high-performance microprocessor jointly developed by Sony, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., Toshiba Corporation, and IBM Corporation.
- *RSX® is a graphics processor jointly developed by NVIDIA Corporation and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
- *4K: image resolution of 4096 × 2160 pixels (H × V) - more than four times the resolution of full HD (1920 × 1080).
- *"Cell Broadband Engine" is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
About SIGGRAPH 2007 (Special Interest Group on Computer Graphics)
Date of Exhibition: 7-9 August 2007 (Conference: 5-9 August 2007) http://www.siggraph.org/s2007/
Venue: San Diego Convention Center, San Diego, California
Sony Booth: No. 1249