Turning Rice Husks into Gold
Sony’s latest innovation: Triporous™, a porous carbon material made from rice husks.
Thanks to its unique patented microstructure with 3 different pore sizes,
Triporous offers potential applications in a wide range of fields,
such as water and air purification. By making use of excess rice husks,
Triporous will lead to technological breakthroughs in various areas including textiles,
bringing us closer to a recycling-oriented society.
Triporous is a new material made from rice husks, of which more than 100 million tons is generated worldwide each year. Recycling this surplus biomass contributes to the realization of a more environmentally conscious, recycling-oriented society.Read more
The use of rice husks as a raw material gives Triporous a unique microstructure that enables easy adsorption of materials that are difficult to adsorb with conventional activated carbon. Adsorption is also much faster. Furthermore, the capacity of Triporous to carry a large quantity of active chemical agent opens up possibilities for many different functions.Read more
Taking advantage of the outstanding adsorption characteristics of Triporous, we are working to develop products and solutions for a variety of fields that require water purification, air purification, or deodorization.Read more
- June 17, 2019Triporous is published in "Sony and the Environment"
- March 8, 2019Triporous will be exhibited at SXSW 2019, the world's largest creative business festival (March, 9-12, USA)
- March 7, 2019Research of Triporous about virus removal in water is presented (53rd annual conference of Japan society on water Environment, March 7)
- January 29, 2019Triporous is exhibited at ISPO, one of the world's largest exhibition for outdoors and sports (February 3-6, Germany)
- January 29, 2019Sony begins licensing of Triporous™
For inquiries about Triporous, please do the followingContact Us