CSR Reporting

Content Menu
Updated on September 7, 2016

Using Recycled Plastics

Using Over 16,000 Tons of Recycled Plastics Annually

With the aim of eliminating the use of virgin materials such as oil and copper that have been identified as key resources, Sony is actively expanding the use of recycled plastics in products. In the fiscal 2015, the Sony Group currently uses more than 16,000 tons of recycled plastics annually in various products*1, including televisions, audio products, PCs and digital still cameras and recording media. Approximately 65.1% of the total volume comes from scraps from the production processes at manufacturing sites inside and outside of the Sony Group, while the remaining approximately 34.9% is post-consumer recycled plastics, that is, plastics recycled from used products and packaging. To further increase the use of such plastics, Sony is advancing the development of technologies and the adoption of recycled plastics in Sony products.

*1
Gross value including virgin plastics and additives that are mixed with recycled materials
*2
Net value excluding virgin plastics and additives that are mixed with recycled materials

Click here for Sony and the Environment, which features detailed information on environmental initiatives.

SORPLAS™, Sony's Original Flame-Retardant Recycled Plastic

  • Percentage of total volume
In 2011, Sony began practical use of Sustainable Oriented Recycled Plastic (SORPLAS™), a flame-retardant recycled plastic made possible by a proprietary compounding technology that combines an original, non-halogen and non-phosphorus, flame retardant—itself produced using a Sony-developed process—and waste plastics (polycarbonate resin) from various sources in an optimal blend. Thanks to Sony's novel flame-retardant, which makes it possible to impart flame-retardancy by the addition of a very small amount of less than 1% or less of total content, SORPLAS™ not only surpasses conventional flame-retardant plastics in terms of durability, flame-retardancy and recyclability, but also achieves an outstanding utilization rate of up to 99% waste plastics. The effective utilization of SORPLAS™ has been shown to reduce CO2 emissions in product manufacturing by up to 80%.*1 Moreover, Sony's versatile waste-plastic compounding technology makes it possible to tailor SORPLAS™ to the needs of a variety of products. In fiscal 2015, SORPLAS™ was used in Sony products like the 4K-compatible LCD TV Bravia™ XBR-75X910C and the 4K Handycam® FDR-AXP35. Additionally, in October 2014, sales of three different types of SORPLAS™ outside of Sony began.*2 Sony will continue to make SORPLAS™ widely available also outside the group, promote resource recycling, and contribute to a society with a reduced environmental impact.

*1
In the case of SORPLAS™ in the BRAVIA™ LCD TVs KDL-40EX52H. Based on Sony calculations, assuming plastic manufacturing (including shipping)
*2
News Releases: Sony commences external sales of SORPLAS™ flame-retardant recycled plastic material that achieves high durability and heat resistance, and comprises up to 99% recycled content

Click here for Sony and the Environment, which features detailed information on environmental initiatives.
Page Top
Return to top of page