Once the splitting out of these functions has been completed, Sony Corporation will focus on the following Group headquarters functions:
- Headquarters: Responsibility for the Sony Group's overall strategy and governance, and oversight of their execution
- R&D: Leadership of Sony's differentiation and creativity through technological innovation
- New Business: Incubation of new businesses in areas beyond Sony's current business domains
- Brand Design: To enhance Sony's brand value and implement horizontal Group-wide initiatives
- Professional Services: To support the operations of the Sony Group following the completion of the splitting out process
In conjunction with this structural realignment, certain changes will also be made to Sony's executive assignments and system effective April 1, 2016, in order to further clarify lines of responsibility and assignments within each business and the headquarters organization.
The Company will newly appoint four executives, currently in charge of four of the Sony Group's business segments, as "Corporate Executive Officers" of Sony Corporation. They, together with the six existing Corporate Executive Officers, will assume ultimate responsibility for the Sony Group's management within the scope assigned to them by the Company's Board of Directors. Sony will also re-classify its other executives. The executives responsible for executing their assigned business operations under the oversight of the relevant Corporate Executive Officers will be named "Business Executives" of Sony Corporation, while the executives responsible for the headquarters functions assigned to them under the oversight of relevant Corporate Executive Officers will be named "Corporate Executives" of Sony Corporation.